During the November 20, 2013 company meeting the Delaware City Fire Company honored two individuals. They were awarded plaques for civilian heroism. Dan NcNaulty and Mark Kelly, residents of Delaware City successfully assisted two adults, a baby and a dog from 300 Washington Delaware City on October 17, 201 before the fire company was able to arrive. These two individuals entered a burning structure without regard for their own safety to help others. This is the mark of a true hero. The award was presented by Chief Jamie Rosseel, Assistant Chief Wally Poppe and President Ed Kalinowski.
As we are going into the holiday season – we wanted to share a few Christmas tree safety tips:
1. Keep trees away from major sources of heat (fireplaces, heaters, heat vents).
2. Check the stand daily to make sure that the level of water does not go below the base of the tree.
3. Always inspect light sets prior to placing them on the tree. If worn, replace with a new set.
4. Do not overload electrical circuits.
5. Use of lights that produce low heat, such as miniature lights, will reduce drying of the tree.
6. Always turn off the tree lights when leaving the house or when going to bed.
7. Use only non-flammable decorations
8. Monitor the tree for freshness. After Christmas or if the tree is dry, remove it from the house.
9. Never burn any part of a Christmas tree in a wood stove or fireplace.
(Christmas tree safety tips were provided courtesy of The McCarthy Tree Farm located at 1061 Dutch Neck Road, Middletown, DE – Open Saturday and Sundays, from Thanksgiving to Christmas – 10AM – 4PM)